Wednesday, September 4, 2013

William Dore - being of Sound and disposing mind and memory



Sacred
to the Memory of
William Dore
who departed this Life
the 26th January 1815
Aged 65 Years

Sacred
to the Memory of
Sarah Wife of William Dore
who departed this Life
the 30th of June 1803
Aged 49 Years


Sacred
to the Memory of
Mary, Daughter of 
William and Sarah Dore
Who departed this Life
the 16th of April 1834
Aged 63 Years


Sacred
to the Memory of
John, the son of William & Sarah Dore who departed this Life
the 21st of May 1844
Aged 56 Years

Sacred 
To the Memory of
Ann Daughter of William & Sarah Dore
Who departed this Life
the 1st of July 1851 
Aged 71 Years


Also 
to the Memory of Sarah, Daughter of William and
Sarah Dore
who departed this Life
June 19th 1858
Aged 81 Years


William Dore was the first in an auctioneering family dynasty that spanned nearly 100 years and three generations.

Christened at St Mary's Church, Lydiard Tregoze in 1749, the son of Peter and Jone Dore, William married local girl Sarah Hedges and produced a large family.

William fulfilled his parish responsibilities as tenant and rate payer, and clocked up an impressive 13 years service as churchwarden with Jacob Matthews of Toothill, retiring in 1812, possibly due to ill health or just general infirmity. A long time tenant of Lord Bolingbroke, William paid rates on Wick Farm and additional land called Prinnels, Blacklands and Greendown between 1806 and his death in 1815.

He wrote his will in the month before he died and what I find particularly interesting are the personal bequests William makes to his family. Beds and bedding continue to be an important and valuable item of household furnishing and are handed down to his daughters.

I would love to be able to identify the house in Shaw that William bought for his four unmarried daughters. I wonder if it survived the 1980s development?




In the Name of God Amen I William Dore of Lydiard Tregooze in the County of Wilts, Yeoman being of Sound and disposing mind and memory do this Fifth Day of December in the year of Our Lord One Thousand eight Hundred and fourteen Make and publish this to be my last Will and Testament in manner following (that is to say) I give unto my son Peter Dore my Silver Tankard To my Daughter Elizabeth Beames my Small Mahogany Dining Table To my son John my Yearling Cart Horse Colt and my old Chestnut Hackney but my will is that the latter shall not be sold or Disposed of but be kept by him so long as it shall live To my Daughter Ann my Mahogany Tea Table To my Daughter Sarah my best Bed bedstead Bedding and Furniture to my Daughter Mary the Bed bedstead Bedding and Furniture in the room wherein I usually sleep To my Daughter Joan the Bed Bolster and Pillows which my Daughters are now making and my next best bedstead and furniture I Give to my Son William All the Stock and Effects on the Farm wherein I have lately placed him called the Marsh Farm also all my Wearing Apparel of every sort and kind and the sum of Thirty Pounds which I sometime since lent him Also I Give and Devise to my four Daughters Sarah Ann Mary and Joan All that my Freehold Messuage or Tenement Garden and Premises with the Appurtenances situate and being at Shaw in the parish of Lydiard Millicent in the said County which I lately purchased of William Morse To hold to them in the nature of and as Joint Tenants during so long time as they shall remain Single and Unmarried it being my desire that as soon as either of them shall Marry her Interest therein shall immediately Cease But my will further is that in Case all my said Daughters shall Marry Then immediately on the marriage of the last of them I Give and Devise the same unto such of my said four Daughters as shall be then living To hold to them their Heirs and Assigns for ever as Tenants in Common and not as joint Tenants All the rest residue and remainder of my personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and of what kind so ever (after payment of my just Debts and my Funeral and Testamentary Expenses) I Give and Bequeath to my Son John and my Daughters Ann Sarah Mary and Joan to be divided between them and in equal parts and proportions To and for his her and Their own Use and Benefit And I do hereby Nominate and Appoint my said son John and my said Daughter Sarah joint Executor and Executrix of this my Will In Witness Whereof I have herewith set my hand and seal the day and year first above written

Witnesses HP Burt, Wm Farmer, Joseph Noad

No comments:

Post a Comment