Monday, August 26, 2013

Jacob Hayward - so long with Pain opprest


To the Memory of
Jacob Hayward
who departed this Life 
the 19th Sept. 1801
in the 57th year of his Age
I was so long with Pain opprest,
That work my Strength away,
It made me long for Endless Rest
Which never can decay 

Also
to the Memory of
Jane wife of 
Jacob Hayward
who departed this Life
the 29th of Nove. 1828
Aged 71 years


Spare a thought for poor Jacob Hayward, whose demise appears to have been a welcome release from a long illness.

This magnificent table top memorial is one of several listed monuments in the churchyard at St Mary's and is evidence that Jacob was a wealthy man. His will reveals that he farmed at Chaddington and Bassett Down and that he owned the freehold of Cotmarsh Farm in Broad Hinton.This very matter of fact document bequeaths his property and his money to wife Jane and daughter Mary and was signed just 12 days before Jacob's death. There is no mention of any personal effects and just one reference to a person other than Jane and Mary.

This is the last Will and Testament of me Jacob Hayward of Bassett Down in the Parish of Liddiard Tregooze in the County of Wilts, Husbandman (that is to say) my Soul I command to God, my Body I commit to the Earth to be buried at the Discretion of my Executrix hereinafter named, my temporal Estate I thus order and dispose First my Will is that all my just Debts and Funeral Expenses, and charges of proving this my Will be first paid and Discharged I give Devise and bequeath unto my beloved Wife Jane Hayward all my Crop of all sorts of Corn and Stock of Cattle, Corn and Implements in Husbandry, that is and maybe on my Estates at Chaddington and Bassett Down in the County of Wilts, and also I give unto my said Wife Jane Hayward all Interest Money that maybe owing and due to me at the time of my Decease, and also all the ready money I may have at that time in my Possession, I give Devise and Bequeath unto my Daughter Mary the Wife of Richard King all Bonds and Securities for Money (of what kind or nature so ever they may be) that shall be found in my Possession, and belonging to me at the time of my Decease as and for her own Property with the Principal and Interest Money arising from the same (Except as before Excepted) and I devise my Executrix to Deliver up the said Bonds and Securities together with the Writings of my Freehold Estate unto my said Daughter Mary the Wife of Richard King immediately after my Decease. I give Devise and Bequeath unto my Daughter Mary the Wife of Richard King all that my Freehold Estate situate at Cotmarsh in the Parish of Broad Hinton and Cliff Pypard both in the County of Wilts, with the Rents, Issues and Profits of the same To have and to Hold the said Freehold Estate as aforesaid to my said Daughter Mary the Wife of Richard King and her Heirs for ever, but on this special condition that my said Daughter Mary the Wife of Richard King or her heirs, shall pay or cause to be paid yearly and every year out of the Rent, Issues and Profits arising out of my said Freehold Estate the sum of Ten Pounds unto my said Wife Jane Hayward for and during her Widowhood (that is) as long as she shall remain my Widow. I give Devise and Bequeath unto Mary Dunn the Daughter of Ann Dunn of Highworth in the County of Wilts the Sum of Fifty pounds to be paid to the said Mary Dunn within a Twelvemonth after my Decease by my Executrix hereinafter mentioned I give Devise and bequeath the sum of Ten Pounds to the second poor of the parish of Liddiard Tregooze in the County aforesaid to be Distributed according to the Discretion of my Executrix And I hereby Nominate and Appoint my beloved Wife Jane Hayward whole and Sole Executrix of this my Last Will and Testament which I hereby declare to be my Last. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal this Seventh Day of September in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and One.

Witnesses William Dursford, Richard Sheldon, Edward Smith

Effects under £2,000


No comments:

Post a Comment